Sunday, September 21, 2008

Good Deed Week #30

Good Deed #205. I donated to a project that will serve 150 children by offering them the opportunity to get out from their slums, to express their feelings and open their minds to the world. It also creates a positive dynamic for the whole community by providing jobs. The project targets children who live in poor and marginalized areas of Casablanca, Morocco.


Good Deed #206. Through DonorsChoose.org, I donated to a teacher at my former high school. Mrs. B's students love the CBS Numbers show, which uses math to solve crimes. In order for her class to complete the "forensic" type activities they need a data collection tool. My donation is helping them purchase a Casio EA-200 graphing tool. This tool will allow them to collect real-world data and transfer that data to graphing calculators. Then, students can analyze the graphs and the equations and make generalizations about what could happen next.

Good Deed #207.
Imagine being a child, away from home, scared in the dark! That is what happened to many of the children in Mrs. D's classroom when a tornado knocked out power for hours at their school. I donated to her project so they can have good flashlights and emergency radios. These simple pieces of emergency equipment can make sure these stressful situations are easier to handle for both the children and adults.

Good Deed #208. As we all know, I try my best to support military men and women. So, it shouldn't be a surprise that I donated to the USO, which is a private, nonprofit organization whose mission is to support the troops by providing morale, welfare and recreation-type services to our men and women in uniform.



Good Deed #209. I clicked again and saved 7.4 sq feet of rainforest. I still have no clue how much that really is, but it sounds good. If you too want to save the rainforests or carbon emissions click here.

Good Deed #210. Ryan is still living with us and is still playing some great baseball. The hours are long and hard, but he is managing the schedule incredibly well. Overall, this has been a great summer and we are happy to be a part of his career and life.


Good Deed #211. Thank goodness this was a recovery week. As you know, last week we had to run 12 miles, this week we only had to run seven miles. However, I am starting to realize that our "down" weeks means harder and longer hills. This week I received two very generous donations from Rich G. and Rhonda. Rich is technically a friend of a friend, but I like to consider him a friend of mine now. I have done a few good deeds with him this year (Race for the Cure for his mom and Guitars Not Guns). Rhonda is a fellow Boise Hawks host mom (she has a pitcher).

No comments: