Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Good Deeds Week #7

Update on a few good deeds

1.  Special Olympics.  I am very sad to report that I received an email the other day stating the Special Olympics had too many volunteers so my services were not needed at this time.  Although this was a huge disappointment, I am hoping to get out to the Games as a fan instead of a volunteer.   

2.  Donors Choose.  Alright, so the teacher / project I initially picked fell through, so I selected a second project.  I chose a science teacher who needed a way to make sure his students have actually learned something and will be able to apply what they have learned.  To do this, he requested funds for a class set of white boards that he could pass out to each student and have them interactively share their answers to questions.  Several of my teachers did this in High School and I vaguely remember liking it - so I figured it was worth a try.  

I am happy to report that the project was fully funded and the teacher wrote the following note to me:

Dear Becky,

Thank you so much for helping fund this project.  Having the ability to easily check students' understanding is an important component of ensuring that learning is taking place...not just teaching.  My students are going to benefit greatly from your gift.  It warms my heart and theirs to know that there are people who are personally invested in the success of every child in America.  

Most sincerely,

Adam Geller    
   
3.  What Kind of World Do You Want.  As of this afternoon, the video has received 4,631 views and 49 comments.  I am still on the Five For Fighting MySpace page as the video pick of the week.  Woohoo!  

Good Deeds Week #7

Good Deed #43.  I sent a care package to my second adopted soldier.  His wife said he needed mostly hygiene products so I sent him shampoo, body wash, shaving cream, a loofa, coffee, creamer, chocolate, and a few energy snacks.  I did hear from him for the first time today (exciting!) he sent pictures of him, his wife, and two kids. 
 
Good Deed #44.  If you know me, you know I LOVE Steve Irwin.  I fell in love with his enthusiasm and passion the first time I watched his show.  I always envied the love he had for what he did for a living and for life in general.  Not to mention, Terry and him were a match made in heaven.  So, for Christmas my big brother Andy got me the book Terry wrote in memory of Steve called Steve and Me.  It was a very moving tribute and it sparked me to dedicate good deed #44 to Steve.  In honor of Steve's work, I became a Wildlife Warrior.   As a warrior I am part of a global wildlife force that is working hard to preserve our natural environment. 
   

Good Deed #45.  I thought I had adopted all the soldiers I wanted at this time.  However, I was browsing anysoldier.com and came across an incredibly enthusiastic guy that looked like he was really excited to be heading to Iraq.  If I didn't know better, I would have thought this guy was going to a party - not to war.  And, as you know from the previous good deed, I am a sucker for people with enthusiasm for what they do for a living.  I just couldn't resist him.  I had to send him a package complete with sunflower seeds, coffee, creamer, energy bars, gummi bears, hot chocolate, oatmeal, and beef jerky.     

  
Good Deed #46.  How many times do you get the mail and take a stack full of paper and toss it right into the trash?  We all do it, every day.  In partnership with CatalogCutDown.org, I sent an email to the CEO of Sears asking him to stop printing the 425 million catalogs a year.  I am pretty realistic and doubt MY email will make a difference, but you never know - the writers aren't on strike any more and I did send quite a few letters out :-)

Good Deed #47.  With President Bush touring Africa, The One Campaign asked its members to sign a petition asking the next President to visit Africa during their first term.  It is a small step and sacrifice, but one that we believe is important.  The campaign wanted to reach 50,000 member signatures and I was number 49,829.  I know they did reach their goal and are now striving to reach 80,000 signatures by tomorrow.  

Good Deed #48.  I was watching Seven Years in Tibet the other night with 
Brian and was moved to help the Tibetans that have been persecuted so intensely for too many years.  Many of them are just trying to make a simple living and take care of their families. After doing some research, I found The Tibet Fund and an urgent need to help 42 Tibetan Sweater Sellers that lost their shops in a massive fire this past November.  I donated to these individuals and pray that they are able to recover from this disaster.

Good Deed #49.  On a much lighter note, my next good deed was a simple one.  Not even sure if I should be counting it as a good deed, but I belayed for two strangers at the rock climbing gym.  For the non-climbers out there, when you are climbing you need someone (a belayer) holding the ropes and keeping you from smacking into the ground.  It was a simple gesture, but without me they wouldn't have been able to climb the routes they did that night.                

2 comments:

Hands said...

Another great week of good deeds! Even the smallest of things don't go unnoticed...I hope they pay it forward.

Andrew said...

Climbing with a belayer is scary enough! Kudos!

Glad you liked the book. Now send it back to me so I can finish it after the book I am reading now.