Monday, January 28, 2008

Good Deeds Week #4

Updates on a Few Good Deeds

1.  Kiva.org (Good Deed #12):  All the funds were raised for Aminjon Azimov and the funds have been disbursed to him in Tajikistan.  Over the next 12 months, the organization will collect repayments and will continue to post updates.

2.  Book Care Packages to AnySoldier.com Members (Good Deed #13).  I have heard back from one of the men that I sent books, coffee, creamer, fruit snacks, and cookies to.  He is a wonderfully sweet guy who I am sure will receive more goodies in the mail (as a friend not as a good deed).  

3.  Operation Dreamseed Donations (Good Deed #21).  I have received cash donations from Erin "Bestest" Walker and Chris Bruno (from Lloyd Dobler Effect) who literally sold his blood for the cause.  Yes, that's right, he donated his blood for research purposes, got some cash for it, and sent it to me - tell me that isn't freaking awesome!  If you have sent me stuff and I didn't mention your name - then check with me so I can keep an eye out for the package.  If you would still like to send money or supplies, you have plenty of time.  I am planning on sending the packages after the Valentines mailing rush (yes Valentines has a mailing rush).   

Good Deeds Week #4

Good Deed #22.  In honor of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. I took a 40 day pledge of nonviolence.  You would think I would be able to do this pledge easily considering I am a nice person, but unfortuantly I was with Allan all week and he caused me to hit him on several occasions.  I mean, honestly, they were all provoked by him.  But, since Saturday I have been violence free.  The pledge states the following:

In honor of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s life and work, I do pledge to do everything that I can to make America and the world a place where equality and justice, freedom, and peace will grow and flourish.
  
I pledge to make nonviolence a way of life in my dealings with all people (including Allan).

I will reject all forms of hatred, bigotry and prejudice, and I will embrace the values of unconditional, universal love, truthfulness, courage, compassion, and dedication that empowered Dr. King.

I will dedicate my life to creating the beloved community of Dr. King's dream, where people can live together as sisters and brothers.

Good Deed #23.  I have offset 5 pounds of carbon emissions which is roughly equivalent to 3 days of computer usage and one long shower.  In addition, I have saved 14.8 sq. ft. of marine wetlands and 7.5 sq. ft. of american prairies.  With a simple click of a mouse, you too can save marine wetlands, american prairies and help offset carbon emissions.

Good Deed #24 + 25.  I prepared a care package for my first adopted soldier and wrote my second adopted soldier his first letter.  The care package was filled with Valentines candy, the Anchorman DVD, a handmade card, some coffee, creamer, fruit snacks, and cookies. 

Good Deed #26.  I was the 19,550th person to sign the "Stop the Attack on Utah's Wild Lands" petition.  In short, the current administration is planning to sharply increase oil and gas development and off-road vehicle use for 11 million incredible acres in Utah.  This will permanently alter the canyons and wildlife that I have been enjoying over the past year.  The goal is to have 25,000 signatures on the petition before it goes to the Bureau of Land Management Director.  If you could please sign the petition, it would be greatly appreciated.

Good Deed #27.  Brian told me about the site WhatKindofWorldDoYouWant.com that was set up by the band Five for Fighting.  It is the first video community that gives back.  All you have to do is tell the world what kind of world you want and raise money for a charity by making and uploading a video yourself, your friends or your family answering the question "What Kind of World Do You Want?"  OR, you can raise money for charities that John Ondrasik of Five for Fighting has personally selected.  All you have to do is watch any clip on the site and money will go to the charity listed with that video.  So I watched 10 or so videos - meaning I donated $10 to the chosen charities.  I highly recommend you spending some time by watching the videos and raising money.

Good Deed #28.   I signed the ONE campaign declaration.  ONE is Americans of all beliefs and every walk of life - united as ONE - to help make poverty history.  The ONE campaign has over 2.4 million people and growing from all 50 states and over 100 of America's most well-known and respected non-profit, advocacy, and humanitarian organizations.  As ONE, we are raising public awareness about the issues of global poverty, hunger, disease and efforts to fight such problems in the worlds poorest countries.  To support this great organization, I signed the ONE campaign declaration and bought a ONE campaign Nalgene bottle.  The declaration that I signed stated:

We believe that in the best American tradition of helping others help themselves, now is the time to join with other countries in a historic pact for compassion and justice to help the poorest people of the world overcome AIDS and extreme poverty.

       We recognize that a pact including such measures as fair trade, debt relief, fighting corruption and directing additional resources for basic needs - education, health, clean water, food, and care for orphans - would transform the futures and hopes of an entire generation in the poorest countries, at a cost equal to just one percent more of the US budget.

We commit ourselves one person, one voice, one vote at a time - to make a better, safer world for all. 
    



5 comments:

Andrew said...

Fruit Snacks, Yum! I was 21,199th!

Hands said...

Yay you are amazing! Andy, you are 21,204...and I'm just a few away at 21,208.

Andrew said...

You calling me a liar? The more the merrier!

Hands said...

no no Andy, no liar. and I agree, lets get it to 25,000!

Andrew said...

Don't try to take back your words now. You called me a liar! Don't hate because I cannot read or count :=[