Saturday, January 05, 2008

Good Deeds Week #1

Four days have gone by in 2008 and I have done four good deeds. I'm on a roll. Here's what I have been up to:

Good Deed #2. On January 1st, Brian and I donated six, filled-to-capacity, extra large trash bags of clothes, pillows, and stuffed animals to our local Goodwill. It was pretty easy, we just looked in our closets selected the clothes we regretted buying or haven't worn in years, tossed them into a bag, and dropped them off at a donation center less than 3 miles from our house.


Good Deed #3. This is one of the good deeds I was looking forward to the most. I adopted a soldier on the Soldiers' Angels Network. Due to safety and restrictions, I can't say much about my soldier, but he is in the Air Force and he is serving in Iraq. What does it mean to adopt a soldier? That means I am committed to sending one letter a week and one care package a month. They even give you a Soldier Angel Mentor to help you with the process. On Tuesday, January 2nd, I wrote my first letter to my soldier - which was basically a page of me blabbing about anything and nothing. I will keep you posted with my little buddy and I will let you know what it's like being a penpal with one of our courageous servicemen. If you are interested in learning more about Soldiers' Angels feel free to visit their website.

Good Deed #4. My fourth good deed was signing up for the Boise Habitat for Humanity's Women's Build project. The project is being sponsored by Lowes and its giving women the chance to build the house from scratch. (We don't need no stinking men. ) As of right now, I am scheduled to help build on January 12th. If you are interested in helping your local Habitat for Humanity or if you want to build pretty much anywhere please visit http://www.habitat.org.

Good Deed #5. I'll be honest, my fifth good deed was kinda selfish. I'm pretty tired of the writer's strike, but I agree 100% with the writers. So I went on the Writer's Guild of America website to see what I could do to help. It turns out they have a list of all the Hollywood Executives along with their addresses and they need people to write letters in support of the strike. So that is what I did. If you are tired of the re-runs and want to see your favorite shows back on TV or if you just simply agree with strike and want to do something about it here is the list of names and addresses where you can send a letter.

No comments: